Can you get ahead in life with humility? Find out about this misunderstood value namely humility and get to know the secret to get ahead in life.
- Humility – בענוה
- Rav Samson Raphael Hirsch Humility, that the highest of all virtues. One of the most important qualities of humility is that it guards and protections against any misstep and error.
- Humility is often mistaken for low self-esteem. In reality, humility isn’t thinking less of yourself. It’s thinking less about yourself.
- בענוה, modesty, that loftiest of virtues which will remain his most faithful guard and protection against any misstep and error on the path to wisdom and practical observance.
Humility: The Missing Ingredient to Your Success (Link)
- As Entrepreneur recently pointed out, a study conducted by the University of Washington Foster School of Business found that “humble people tend to make the most effective leaders and are more likely to be high performers in both individual and team settings.”
- Over the last 20 years, a new breed of celebrity-status entrepreneurs has come to the fore. Names like Mark Cuban, Arianna Huffington, Gary Vaynerchuk and especially Steve Jobs have all built a reputation for their brash and authoritative leading styles.
- In a world that celebrates such outspoken leadership, what role could humility possibly play in your success?
- Turns out: It’s absolutely essential. In fact, for many, humility is the missing ingredient — and not for the reasons you might expect.
- As the great Jim Collins said, “The X-factor of great leadership is not personality, it is humility.”
- But what does humility do?
- Here are three essentials of humility in action, each of which applies directly to your effectiveness as a leader and entrepreneur.
- Humility listens – Listening lies at the heart of all successful relationships. It indicates that you’re receptive to and respectful towards the opinions of others.
- Humility tests – Humility never assumes it’s right. Humble leaders, while heeding their instincts, are willing to test their assumptions
- Humility admits – To err is human. To admit that you erred is humility.
The Humility of Moses
- Moses – The greatest leader and the most humble of men.
- Torah’s insistence on humility, not as a mere nicety, a good thing to have, but as essential to the role.
- The model is Moses, described in the Torah as 12“Humble” here does not mean diffident, meek, self-abasing, timid, bashful, demure or lacking in self-confidence.
Story: Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II
#SMARTalks is a growing online community for young Jews to discuss history, current events, and connect online through timely and relevant content. SMARTalks are great conversations for Jewish millennials. A project of Jews for Judaism, driven by Jewish values and text.